Thursday, December 2, 2010

Starting Fitness Stats

Average resting heart rate: 68 BPM
Planks: 35 seconds
Push-ups: None
Sit-ups per minute: 17
Total sit-ups: 30
Mile: 18 minutes
Running without stopping: 2 minutes

While some of those figures aren't too bad for a beginner, I've certainly got a long way to go. With practice, I hope to see some improvement by next month. Right now, I'm doing a mixture of walking and cycling, and once I build a good walking foundation, I plan on starting the Couch to 5K Running Program. I'm thinking I'll start it in January or so, which will give me time to work up my running endurance a little bit. 

I tried to do a push-up, and I failed miserably. This is clearly something I need to work on. By next month at this time, I hope to be able to do at least two of them. It isn't much, but it's a start. I was actually kind of pleased with the amount of time I was able to hold a plank. Nevertheless, I hope to increase that figure by ten seconds by next month. My focus isn't really on running quite yet, but it would be cool to be able to run for four minutes straight by next month. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen
    Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    Sounds like you are taking a very rational approach to weight loss, with eating less and moving more. I think you are doing great.

    BTW, I'm sure you could already wear the dress I wrote about in my post. That's why I wrote about it...it's cute and comfy and you don't have to be skinny to wear it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, thanks for stopping by my blog! I responded to your comment BTW. I am a follower now so looking forward to your updates :)

    I really look forward to hearing about your experience with Couch to 5K. I really want to try it (I was a fairly good runner once upon a time) but I had hip surgery recently so it will be awhile before I can do it :)

    As far as push-ups go, were you doing full ones or modified (on your knees)? Anyways, I was going to suggest maybe doing wall push-ups or couch push-ups to work up to full push-ups. All the best!

    ReplyDelete