Thursday, December 16, 2010

Soreness and Pain

Since I was in my early teens, I've suffered from periodic knee pain. It's not always brought on by exercise, though exercise has been known to exacerbate it. For the past five or six years, I've also suffered from lower back pain as well. My spine doesn't hurt, but the muscles around it do. Looking at the illustration below, it would seem that my iliac crest and my thoracolumbar fascia are what's hurting. 




When I touch the sore areas on my back and near my knees, it almost feels like they're bruised on the inside, even though they're (probably) not. When my back hurts, though, my knees almost certainly do as well. I'll often feel pain in my ankles, too. It almost feels like my muscles are too tight and are causing my back and legs to become misaligned. Regardless of what's causing it, it's really annoying, but it doesn't hurt enough for me to see a doctor about it yet. More often than not, Tylenol does the trick. What worries me, however, is that running is known to irritate sore muscles. I really, really hope my back pain doesn't get worse when I start running more. That would really bum me out because running is something I've been looking forward to doing.

Anyway, does anyone have this problem? If so, what do you do to help with the pain? I think I need to work on strengthening my lower back and my core. I really need to start weight/strength training soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Speaking as someone who exercised herself into multiple injuries during my time in the Army, I will say, "Don't put off pain!" There is a huge difference between being sore and having honest to God, pain. I ignored pain in my shoulders for a long time and developed horrible bursitis and torn labrums. Two surgeries and endless months of PT later, I am still miserable. Get it checked out. Better safe than sorry! Sorry to be all gloom and doom, lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! good advice from Joy!

    Also...try stretching and rubbing out the IT Bands on the side of the legs, and butt stretches! they help the lower back a lot!

    Thank you for stopping in at my blog! I'm glad you found me, so I can watch your progress too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. I wish I could help but I have had really great luck with not having these sorts of issues. I agree with Joy. You need to get it checked out.

    Take the running slow if you must.

    ReplyDelete