Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

To anyone who reads my blog, I apologize for not updating in over a week. I've been slacking off big time. To be honest, I haven't exercised in a week. I've been eating more than usual, too, but according to Livestrong's MyPlate, I've been mostly eating to maintain my weight. There are days that I've been eating to lose, but other than that, I've been slacking. I'm not too worried, though, because I'll pick myself up after Christmas. I mean, c'mon! As cliche as this sounds, Christmas only comes once a year, and I'm going to enjoy myself. I read an interesting article at Active.com that said it's okay to cut yourself some slack -- within reason, of course! -- during the holidays. Here's an excerpt: 

Cut yourself some slack, but be smart. "The holidays are about maintaining weight, not losing," says Nancy Clark, M.S., R.D., author of the Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Fourth Edition. You train hard, so allow yourself to enjoy some holiday meals. "A handful of days won't set you back. It's continuously snacking on cookies that's a problem," Fitzgerald says.
If you're watching your calories, have a plan before you indulge. "Pick what foods you want to splurge on ahead of time," Fitzgerald says. In other words, don't waste your time on the green bean casserole if you really want to dive into the mashed potatoes with gravy. Or take the opposite approach and have a small bite of everything.
Also, don't commit the common blunder of going for a long run or ride before the big feast. "It sets the stage for disaster," Clark says. With a revved up appetite, you'll eat even more. Better to go to dinner with normal hunger, then burn off those carbs with a long workout the next day.
That being said, that's exactly what I plan to do. If I maintain this week -- or  even if I gain a pound, God forbid -- I'm not going to beat myself up. I know what I need to do to lose weight, and I plan on doing it most of the year. That's all that matters.
Anyway, I hope you all have a nice holiday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment