Thursday, December 9, 2010

Livestrong's MyPlate and Other Things

Over the past week or so, I've started using MyPlate over at Livestrong.com. It's pretty cool and useful, but the daily caloric requirement for my weight seems a bit high to me. It's weird because different sites give me different requirements, but the average amount to maintain my current weight seems to be about two thousand calories. I've been eating about 1,500 calories/day, but since I exercise daily, my net intake ends up being about 1,200 calories/day, which isn't too bad. Still, I'll have to monitor my weight to make sure MyPlate is accurate. I'd hate to think I'm eating to lose weight when all I'm doing is maintaining, so I really, really hope it's accurate. It's gotten pretty good reviews, and a lot of people say it's helped them to lose weight, so I'm hoping I'll be able to say the same. I have a feeling that the next month will be touch-and-go for me, though. I don't know how many people read my blog, but if anyone's reading this, have you ever used MyPlate? If so, how'd it work for you?

In other news, I went grocery shopping tonight. I'm happy to say that I made pretty decent choices. At this point in my journey, I've been eating a lot of processed food/meals (e.g., Lean Cuisines and the like), and I know they're not the healthiest things I could eat. Still, it's easier to keep track of calories that way. I definitely need to work on eating better food, though. That's one of my long-term goals. Other than that, I'm not eating too badly. 


These are quickly becoming one of my favorite snacks. The apples come with a generous amount of caramel, and the entire package is only 100 calories. Satisfying my sweet tooth and getting a serving of fruit = win!

That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Apples with caramel are a weakness of mine too. Not too shabby for only 100 calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're delicious! The good thing is that they help keep me from eating junk food like chocolate because they satisfy my sweet tooth. And it feels good to know they're healthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started using MyPlate last February and it's been very helpful. It's very good, if you use it regularly, at keeping you aware of what you eat. I've lost roughly 55 lbs in the past nine months.

    ReplyDelete