Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Moving Around More

Last Friday, I wrote that I'd indulged a bit on Thanksgiving and that I needed to move around a bit more to make up for that. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself because that's exactly what I ended up doing. On Friday/Saturday, I spent three or four hours cleaning and putting up Christmas decorations, which I followed with a mile-long walk with my dog. On Sunday, I took a two hour bike ride, which I enjoyed in spite of the freezing temperature. My eyes were actually watering from the blistery wind, but hey, it wasn't too bad because I got to see some pretty sights along the way. 


Ice is starting to form on the lake.
The ice isn't very thick yet, but brrr!

Anyway, I figured I should try to get some good cycling in before it gets too cold outside. I haven't cycled much since summer, and I could definitely feel the difference in my legs. I'm also much slower than I used to be, but oh well. It's supposed to be more temperate later this week, so I hope to get another ride in soon. My goal is to walk/run for a half an hour three or four days a week and to go cycling for at least an hour once or twice a week. When it gets too cold to go cycling, my plan is to start the Couch to 5K Running Program. 

In my last post, I also wrote that I was nervous about getting on the scale this week. While my official weigh-in isn't until Wednesday, I cheated and weighed myself yesterday. To my delight, I weighed 174.4, which means I've actually lost a half a pound since Thanksgiving. Yay!

6 comments:

  1. Looks cold!

    Congratulations on the success over Thanksgiving week(end)! Always such a good feeling!

    I'll follow you too, if you don't mind -- that way we can encourage each other! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was about thirty degrees out when I took that. It was pretty cold, but at the same time, it can be kind of refreshing to work out in cold weather. LOL.

    Thanks! I don't mind if you follow me at all. I'm definitely going to read your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment, but obese people, at least those that I read have no idea as to what you mean. 3 miles to a 300 pounder around these parts is the sum of a week's exercise. Their WII fitness will tell them to smile, have a cookie, and come back after playing PacMan. The reality is that for a 300 pound person to get the benefits of exercise they have to actually exercise. Your 3 mile per hour speed means that the 300 pound person will walk for one hour, non stop, at a pace that will leave them huffing along and force them to quit in ten minutes. Not every 300 pounder of course, as trained athletes on a basketball court run for hours at a time. My problem is that the electronics of the exercise, calories burned = I am allowed to eat that many calories in doughnuts is silly. I get the math, you are right. Sell that, and you win, I will follow. Not going to happen, but please try, you have my support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Allan. And yeah, I see what you're saying. Walking three miles at a brisk pace would probably be quite challenging for someone who is morbidly obese, especially if they haven't been working out. They would probably have to start with something a lot easier. For some people, walking around the block could be a challenge, and you're not going to burn many calories doing that -- not nearly enough to say, "Woohoo! I can eat what I want without having to worry!" LOL. But anyway, if you're saying that obese people should focus on making dietary changes before relying too much on exercise to burn calories, then I totally agree with you. I can't wait till I'm fit enough to regularly work out for two hours a day and will actually need to eat a lot for energy. (I've got a really long way to go.) What's ironic is that even though I'd probably be able to get away with eating pizza and fattening foods, I probably wouldn't want to because my focus will be on eating what my body needs to perform at its optimal level. That's kind of what I'm hoping, anyway. That's how things are for my athletic friends, and I'm hoping it'll be that way for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the whole point. We want the same things, I have been in the forum a while longer and understand the limitations. I jog every day, and I walk miles every day. I can not sell that until people try a little, and in slow doses. I started with barely walking at 430 pounds. At 265ish,I move a lot more, faster, in 10 months. I believe you take off a lot of weight, then tone, and the rest comes naturally. Just my fat ass opinion !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I agree, and I definitely see what you're saying. Anyway, I think it's great that you've come such a long way. Just think where you'll be next year at this time. With eating right and working on your fitness, you'll probably be pretty athletic. One of my favorite blogs is bendoeslife.tumblr.com. That guy has lost over 100 pounds and is now a marathon runner. People like you and him really inspire me.

    ReplyDelete